Second Angels’ Message
The Wine of Babylon
The Most High God gave Nebuchadnezzar, Belshazzar’s grandfather, the kingdom, majesty, glory and honor. Because of the majesty that He had given him, all people, nations, and languages trembled and feared before him. But when Nebuchadnezzar’s heart was lifted up, and his mind hardened in pride, he was deposed from his kingly throne, and his glory was taken from him. He was driven out from among men to live like the wild beasts. His dwelling was with wild asses, he ate grass like oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven; till he knew that the Most High God ruled in the kingdom of men, and that He appointed over it whomsoever He will.
But though Belshazzar knew all of this, yet he humbled not himself. His heart was lifted up against the Lord of Heaven; and he sent and brought the golden vessels of the house of God; and he, and his lords, his wives and his concubines, drunk wine in them; and he praised the gods of silver, and gold, of brass, iron, wood and stone, which see not, nor hear, nor know: and glorified not the God in whose hand his breath was, and whose were all his ways. Then it was that the part of the hand was sent and the writing “Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin,” which is interpreted, “Mene; God has numbered thy kingdom and finished it. Tekel; Thou are weighed in the balances and found wanting. Peres; Thy kingdom is divided and given to the Medes and Persians.” Daniel 5:26-28.
It was in that night, when Ancient Babylon, which had been a golden cup in the Lord’s hand [Jeremiah 51:7], suddenly fell. God will not be trifled with! It is astounding to note that the fall of ancient Babylon occurred amidst a time of feasting, revelry and drinking of wine. See Daniel 5 for a detailed background of the events that led to the fall of ancient Babylon. While the king and his subjects were under the influence of the intoxicating drink, then it was that the kingdom fell. We are to expect nothing short of this in connection with the fall of spiritual Babylon.
The fall of modern, spiritual Babylon, that great city is attributed to the fact that she, “made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication,” Revelation 14:8. In describing this system that reigns over the people, multitudes, nations and tongues; with whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication and the inhabitants of the earth have been drunk with the wine of her fornication; the Bible says, she had “a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication,” Revelation 17:4. As a result of this wine, she has become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird. Her wine has led the kings of the earth to commit fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth have waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies [Revelation 18:2, 3]. Ancient Babylon also made the nations of the earth drunken with her wine; “the nations have drunken of her wine; therefore the nations are mad” Jeremiah 51:7.
It should be no wonder that the Bible terms her, “MYSTERY BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATION OF THE EARTH,” Revelation 17:5. What are these abominations, what is this filthiness of her fornication that she gives to the world? The Bible defines a number of things as abominations before God, we will consider a few.
- “The graven images of their gods shall ye burn with fire: thou shalt not desire the silver or gold that is on them, nor take it unto thee, lest thou be snared therein: for it is an abomination to the LORD thy God. Neither shalt thou bring an abomination into thine house, lest thou be a cursed thing like it: but thou shalt utterly detest it, and thou shalt utterly abhor it; for it is a cursed thing,” Deuteronomy 7: 25, 26.
The LORD made it clear when He spoke His law upon mount Sinai, that His people are to have nothing to do with graven images. The second commandment reads thus, “Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments,” Exodus 20:4-6. But the Roman Catholic Church has embraced the worship of graven images. It has done the very thing the LORD has commanded Israel against; she has taken the abominations of the nations and brought them into her house. Her places of worship are desecrated by images of Mary and of the Apostles.
- “When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations. There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee,” Deuteronomy 18:9-12.
In Israel all they that were known to consult familiar spirits or spirits of the dead, were put to death. Yet today, one of the most leading doctrines of the Catholic Church and the Apostate protestant world is the doctrine of the immortality of the soul. The Bible teaching on this subject is very clear to be thus confused. All forms of occult practices even as seen in such popular movies as Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, are an abomination before God.
- “He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be an abomination,” Proverbs 28:9.
We cannot hope to please God if we live contrary to His expressed will, “for by the law is the knowledge of sin” Romans 2:20.
- “And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.” Luke 16:15.
- “I have seen thine adulteries, and thy neighings, the lewdness of thy whoredom, and thine abominations on the hills in the fields. Woe unto thee, O Jerusalem! wilt thou not be made clean? when shall it once be?” Jeremiah 13:27.
An illicit relationship between the church and the political systems of the world is an abomination. God says, “Now when I passed by thee, and looked upon thee, behold, thy time was the time of love; and I spread my skirt over thee, and covered thy nakedness: yea, I sware unto thee, and entered into a covenant with thee, saith the Lord GOD, and thou becamest mine.” Ezekiel 16:8. By entering into a covenant with Israel, God became her husband. But when the church seeks the aid of the state to uphold her creeds and laws which are contrary to the teachings of God’s word, she is committing spiritual fornication.
- “Thou shalt not eat any abominable thing.” Deuteronomy 14:3.
The church of God will follow, and will instruct its members to uphold the laws of health and the principles of health as outlined in God’s word; to do contrary to that is an abomination.
- “These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood.” Proverbs 6:16, 17.
Babylon is “drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus.” Revelation 17:6. How the Catholic Church can cover with apologies her past is a great wonder. But it is even a greater wonder for Protestants, to seek for relations with the Roman church, knowing very well what she has done, for which reason Protestants came out in the first place.
- “Then said he unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations than these. And he brought me into the inner court of the LORD'S house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the LORD, between the porch and the altar, were about five and twenty men, with their backs toward the temple of the LORD, and their faces toward the east; and they worshipped the sun toward the east.” Ezekiel 8:15, 16.
Sunday sacredness or worshiping the sun is the greatest abomination. God made the Sabbath for man. If God’s people keep the Sabbath, it stands as a sign that they acknowledge Him as their God and that they are His people. But the Catholic Church has challenged the authority of God in instituting a day contrary to that which the Lord had instituted in the beginning. The Christian world today has adopted Sunday and has substituted it for the Seventh-day, Sabbath of God.
Thus the voice of the LORD is heard saying, “Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.” Revelation 18:4.